Nieuwe Steenweg 139
3870 Veulen (Heers)
01 April - 30 September
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
In winter by appointment : +32 11 48 01 22 or email@example.com
Corona period: to visit the church, contact the Tourism Department: firstname.lastname@example.org - 011 48 01 22.
+32 11 48 01 22 or email@example.com
The Assumption of Mary church is situated in a small rural village with less than five hundred inhabitants, a village that nevertheless holds a lot of valuable buildings such as some striking farms and the castle of Veulen that originates from the 17th – 18th century. The gothic church building has kept the elements of a 13th century roman chapel in silex natural stone in its tower base while the rest of the church stems from the 15th century and was built out of marlstone. The neogothic side aisles were added in 1912.
The pièce de resistance of the church is a gorgeously painted coffered ceiling presumably introduced and commissioned by her duchess Marie d’Argenteau in 1627. It is talked about that the duchess herself would have helped paint this unique religious work of art that constitutes of scenes taken from the life of Our Lady, saints and sixteen blazons of the house of Argenteau.
Most of the interior elements stem from the 19th-20th century, such as there are the lectern (around 1800), the marble font (1850), paneling and closets (17th century), head- and side altars, communion rails and pulpit (around 1912). Three statues of saints (Apollonia, virgin and child with Saint Anne, and John the Baptist) are early 16th century while others like the statue of Saint Roch are more recent. In the floor of the side aisles and the arms of the transept one can find a further five tombstones from the 15th and 16th century.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
See the treasures of this church online on Heritage Plus.
Extensive history of the church (NL)
Cycling and walking routes (NL)
The church of Veulen is situated on the cycle network between junctions 159 and 537, and on the red walking loop of the popular landscape walk Mettekoven.
With the support of PG Leader Haspengouw