01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 18.45
Tue 9.00 - 18.45
Wed 9.00 - 18.45
Thu 9.00 - 18.45
Fri 9.00 - 18.45
Sat 9.00 - 18.45
Sun 9.00 - 18.45
Sunday : 10.30 (Oasis-office with welcome and meeting)
The neo-roman church from 1895 was built by architect E. Serrure and stands as a quiet testimonial of a bygone era near one of the city’s busiest approaching roads and shopping streets.
The square tower is the only remainder of the old church; it dates back to ca. 1550. The marlstone tower contains decorative elements that fit well in with the gothic and early renaissance styles. It rests on a limestone plinth. The four saint's figures in front of the tower represent the Holy Eucherius, Holy Lutgardis, Christina the Miraculous and the Holy Trudo. The recent statues (2013) are of the hand of sculpture artist Roger Rosseel from Mechelen.
The sober and fairly dark interior matches the roman style. The wooden ceiling with 17th century coffers is painted with the escutcheons of the most important families from that period in Sint-Truiden. Part of the ceiling originates from the old church called the Holy grave church; this church was raised in the 11th century by the abbey of Sint-Truiden which was disintegrated in 1706.
The rood beam in front of the chancel displays a Calvary (1530-1540). The diverse images of Saint-Marten are from the 1500-1550’s. The church holds a treasure of other artworks ranging from the 15th to the 18th century. Amongst the polychromous wooden sculptures stands a risen Christ, a Christ sitting on the cold stone, an equestrian statue which depicts the Holy Saint Marten, a Pietà, Saint-Rochus, Saint-Eucherius and more than once the city patron: Saint-Trudo. Christ in the grave dates back to the 18th century. The Seat of Wisdom is probably a mimicry after a 13th century original. The furniture is mostly in neo-gothic style.
At the Saint-Martens square stand the former Augustinuschapel (now a clothes shop), a remainder of the in 1910 demolished hospital. The Stapelstraat, the stackingstreet refers to the old Staepelpoort, Stackinggate, named after the Family Van Staepelen.
KIKIRPA : Online Photo-library