Place Félix Gonda
4550 Saint-Séverin (Nandrin)
01 April - 31 October
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 8.00 - 18.00
01 November - 31 March
Mon 8.00 - 17.00
Tue 8.00 - 17.00
Wed 8.00 - 17.00
Thu 8.00 - 17.00
Fri 8.00 - 17.00
Sat 8.00 - 17.00
Sun 8.00 - 17.00
Let's first admire the exterior of this beautiful 12th century Romanesque church, the only example of the Cluniac style in Belgium,
- By the opening of the porch of the former priory farm: go up the Engihoul street for 20 meters.
- From the village square: view of the church on its hillock with its elegant octagonal bell tower pierced by twin windows and with the old cemetery on its left.
- From the "Vôye di mèsse" (the path of the masses): take the rue de l'Eglise along the wall of the cemetery up to the first path on your right. From this place you have a beautiful view of the presbytery garden, the pond and the back of the building.
One is immediately struck by the breadth, balance, simplicity and warmth of the ensemble illuminated by the cloverleaf-shaped stained glass window above the choir (Joseph Osterrath workshops, 1906) and the three coloured stained glass windows at the back of the apse.
The large nave is separated from the side naves (beautiful vaults) by square pillars alternating with weak pillars, columns or bundles of 4 engaged columns arranged in different directions. This brings lightness to the whole.
Curious twisted twin columns adorn and extend the strong pillars.
Very original, they date from the 2nd half of the 12th century in limestone from the Meuse. Unique, it is supported by 13 supports: a central shaft surrounded by 12 small columns. Square monolithic tank (the hollowed part affects the shape of a half-sphere). Exterior decorated with sculptures of Syrian inspiration: on each side, two lions cornered; at the corners, bearded human heads, probably representing the four rivers of paradise. One of them is crowned.
The Lid is made of copperware (17th century) with the original cross, stolen, replaced by a cross dating from before 1895.
In the center of the great nave, a Christ all in oak, work by the Liège sculptor Maître Balthazar and painted by "Maître Lambert" (Lombard?), painter of the Prince-Bishop's palace under Erard de la Marck.
Notice the heavy crown of thorns and the loincloth waving in the wind. It belongs to the late Gothic period; the flying garment marks the transition to the Renaissance.
In the right side nave, you will notice 3 statues:
- Saint Catherine of Alexandria (wood, 16th century): The bearded emperor, crowned and carrying a scepter, is defeated (sword) by the science (book) of the saint, the sword still recalls the decapitation of the martyrdom.
- St. John the Evangelist (wood, 15th century): wavy hair that resembles the previous one. His gesture of blessing brings out of the cup (in the form of a winged dragon) the deadly poison intended for him.
- Sainte-Barbe (wood, 16th century) : recognizable by its tower with 3 windows and the palm of martyrdom.
- That of the "Reverend Jean Magonet, who was the parish priest of this place for 27 years and died on January 8, 1714". (left transept)
- That of a certain Pirlot, alderman of Huy, from 1508, a coat of arms in the centre and at the four corners, inscription in Gothic characters. (left transept, opposite the previous one).
- The oldest one, dated 1300 (MCCC, in the upper right corner), is that of a certain Marie (Maroie), wife of Henry de Vill...? (right transept, under a Christ on the cross)
- The most recent (only in Latin) is that of the Reverend Jean-Henri Gérardi, parish priest of Saint-Séverin for 48 years, who died on 24 August 1790 (right nave, near the transept).