Place Sainte-Ode 2
15 April - 15 September
Fri 13.00 - 16.00
Sat 10.00 - 16.00
Sun 13.00 - 16.00
15 September - 15 April
Sat 10.00 - 16.00
And by reservation: +32 85 31 38 21
The exceptional Merovingian sarcophagus of sancta Chrodoara, probably from the 8th century, highlights undeniable artistic qualities. It was found in 1977 in the foundations of the collegiate church. We can see a woman holding in her right hand a stick (cane and/or badge of an abbey power?), while a Latin inscription, carved into the stone, gives glory to sancta Chrodoara, "noble, great and illustrious, who enriches sanctuaries with his own goods". Chrodoara was venerated under the name of Saint Ode from the 11th century onwards.
Magnificent example of the different techniques of Mosan goldsmithing of the 13th century. The shrine consists of an oak core covered with copper, silver, enamel and stone slabs. Tradition has it that Chrodoara married the Duke of Aquitaine. When she became a widow in 589, she would have left the region to settle in Amay where she would have devoted her time and fortune to the Church and charity. She was buried under Amay's church. Later, at the beginning of the 8th century, Floribert, Bishop of Liege, reportedly translated the relics in the sarcophagus. Around 1235, the relics were transferred to this shrine. Since 2017, the shrine has been enhanced in the former chapter house.
Four large paintings evoking episodes of the life of Christ hang on the walls of the choir. They are the work of two 18th century artists. The landscapes were painted by Jean-Baptiste Juppin (Namur, 1675 - 1729), while the characters were made by Englebert Fisen (Liège, 1655 - 1733), a very productive painter from Liège, a student of Bertholet Flémal.
The splendid eastern cloister (there are only seven in Western and Central Europe), probably of Romanesque origin and restored in the 18th century, houses the municipal museum which displays the archaeological finds discovered during the excavations of the Hesbaye-Condroz archaeological circle.
Magnificent contemporary work by the Amaytois artist Georges Leplat (1930-2010), Way of the Cross with 15 stations made with gold leaf using the iconic technique. Enhancing the building's interior radiance, her works enrich the collegiate's precious collection of works of art.
The collegiate church also houses a remarkable collection of christs, furniture representative of the stylistic evolution from the 17th to the 19th centuries, the paintings of Fisen "Charité de sainte Ode" at the end of the 17th century and Deprez "Sainte Ode et le mendiant" from 1772, many statues from the early 16th to the 20th century, liturgical ornaments, superb rood house of 1685, statues of the patron saints of the high altar (late 17th century), the Clerinx organ of 1866; three bas-reliefs by Antoine-Marin Mélotte retracing the episodes of the life of Saint Barbe; in the treasury, religious silverware, missals, antique antiphonaries etc...
4550 Saint-Séverin (Nandrin)
4400 Les Awirs (Flémalle)
4400 La Gleixhe (Flémalle)
4400 Souxhon (Flémalle)