Rue du Village 111
4400 Flémalle-Haute (Flémalle)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 18.00
Tue 9.00 - 18.00
Wed 9.00 - 18.00
Thu 9.00 - 18.00
Fri 9.00 - 18.00
Sat 9.00 - 18.00
Sun 9.00 - 18.00
The main body of the building (1717) in brick and stone comprises three naves behind a square tower (1830). On the outside to the right of the entrance is a beautiful wooden Calvary.
Inside the central nave, vaulted over Romanesque arcades, leads to the choir with a floor in black and white marble. The wooden high altar in Louis XIII style is surmounted by a richly adorned tabernacle. The large wooden statues (18th century) are from the school of the well known sculptor from Liege, Jean Del Cour, and represent Saint Mathias, patron of the parish, Saint Hubert and Mary and Joseph.
The side chapel on the left is dedicated to Mary. High above the entrance is a magnificent organ case dating from 1598 and one of the oldest in the province of Liege.
Above the rood screen at the entrance of the church rises an organ case from the end of the 16th century (1598). It is one of the oldest in the province of Liège.
In reality, it has been in the church since 1810, just after the French Revolution.
In that period the state had acquired the goods of the churches and then sold them again.
Perhaps this organ came from the abbey of Val-Saint-Lambert, which disappeared in 1796.
Outside, near the entrance door, a wooden crucifix was placed against the wall of the church.
Previously, it was on the opposite side against the wall of a neighbouring house.
This cross bears a statue of Christ in the style of the 15th century and was erected in memory of a Mission, which was preached in 1837 by Redemptorist Fathers of Liège. These fathers belong to a congregation founded in 1732 by Alphonsius of Ligori.
The baptismal fountain is made of polished stone and topped by a brass cover. Elegant in its simplicity, it shows on its base the date of its placement in the church: 1830. It was moved to bring it closer to the Easter candle because in tradition, the baptized person receives a small candle, lit with the great Easter candle, renewed every Easter night and evoking the risen Christ.
Where the right side chapel is dedicated to Saint Joseph, the right side chapel is dedicated to Mary.
She is represented by a wooden statue from the 18th century as a Madonna carrying the child Jesus. She is dressed in a richly decorated robe and wears a crown, like the Child.
These commemorative plaques are located on either side of the main altar and are built into the wall of the absis. They are in black marble and bear witness to two important moments in the construction of the church. The one on the left is a reminder of the couple who paid for a large part of the church. The right commemorative plaque commemorates the expansion of the church ground at the beginning of the 20th century, and paid for the most part by Mrs Delaveux.
The lectern is the piece of furniture on which the missal is placed, a liturgical book used during the Eucharistic celebrations.
He comes from a Liège workshop and bears the date of his construction: " inno Domini 1926".
It consists of a column with a sphere and an eagle with wings spread out, carrying a book. He depicts the Holy Spirit, the One who proclaims the Good News.