L-9942 Basbellain (Troisvierges)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 18.00
Tue 10.00 - 18.00
Wed 10.00 - 18.00
Thu 10.00 - 18.00
Fri 10.00 - 18.00
Sat 10.00 - 18.00
Sun 10.00 - 18.00
The large cemetery has 1000 years of history behind it. People from 14 villages have been buried here over the centuries. There are valuable headstones and crosses, including the grave of three British pilots who lost their lives here in May 1940.
In a niche in the church tower is a statue of the patron saint of the church, the archangel Michael. As patron of the dead and conqueror of evil (see the devil at his feet), he accompanies human souls after death and gives them protection on their journey to the afterlife.
This stone font is over 1000 years old and probably comes from a Roman memorial column or boundary stone that has been hollowed out and given a Christian purpose.
The desire to reflect the neo-Gothic architectural style in the interior decoration led to the sale of the valuable Baroque altar of the previous church and the commissioning of a new altar. Its form is reminiscent of the spires of a Gothic cathedral (parts of the elaborate carvings are decorated with gold leaf).
Carved in oak around 1700, these figures by Jean Pecourt (d. 1725 in Houffalize) show St Joseph and his adopted son Jesus in an affectionate pose. The lily symbolises chastity and the basket of tools stands for Joseph's trade as a carpenter as well as presaging Jesus' crucifixion.
The church's stained-glass windows were made by the Luxembourg artist Gustav Zanter in 1946. The choir window shows Remigius, the second patron saint of the church, baptising the Frankish king Clovis and his retinue around the year 500 (above the head of the bishop of Rheims a dove hovers, bringing the vial of anointing oil with which all French kings were later anointed).