Kerkstraat 11 B
3960 Beek (Bree)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
St Martin's Church, built in 1450, has a Romanesque tower dating back to 1007 and is made up of bluestone and colourful carved natural stone. The tower and some parts of the walls date back to this time and are considered rare relics in the Otto style, which was in use before the Romanesque style. It was probably used as a closed fortified tower and was later provided with an entrance, above which St. Martin was placed in relief. A little above the ground floor in the tower are three primitive mask heads (heathen heads), probably dating from Roman times, 2 of which are still recognisable.
The organ comes from the St Michael's Church in Bree. This organ was built in 1739 by Laurent Gilman, using the pipework from the old organ, made in 1593 by Nicolaas Niehoff. When a new organ was installed in 1782 in Bree, the Gilman organ was sold to the church in Beek. When the organ was rebuilt in 1933, it was moved, causing a lot of damage and a large part of the pipe work was lost. Since 1988 the organ was restored, replacing the missing pipes in a historically responsible way and in 2007 the organ was completed again.
The oldest statue of this church is Sedes Sapientiae from the 13th century, in late Romanesque style. It is polychrome and has a height of 74 cm. Our Lady is seated on a chair covered in red. Seat of Wisdom - Mary, seated on a throne, holds the child Jesus on her lap and has a rose in her right hand. The crown on her head is decorated with stones, the garment is predominantly gold and decorated with flowers. The cloak is blue, lined with gold. The Child wears a red cloak and lifts 2 fingers from his right hand. On his lap is a dove.
A polychromed Sint-Anna ten Drieën from the 15th century. There are three possible compositions, a horizontal, triangular and frontal. This church has the horizontal representation. Saint Anna became one of the most famous and beloved saints in the fifteenth century. As the grandmother of Jesus, her special power was thought of as the heavenly intercessor of her grandson. In this performance the two women sit next to each other on a bench as equal figures. Jesus' grandmother holds a closed book on her lap. Mary carries the Jesus child, who holds a bunch of grapes in his right hand, on his lap.
A Calvary from the 15th century, attributed to the Master of Elsloo. The representation of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Mount Calvary, flanked by Mary and the apostle John. This calvary is of a very special manufacture. Jesus is represented almost life-size (ca. 150 cm). Special details: heavy crown of thorns, half closed eyes, mouth painfully opened, hair is stripes down, pain in the angular face. All over the body is an atmosphere of sorrow.
Sculpture group of St. Martin, patron of this church, who shares his cloak with a beggar. The statue is from ca. 1600, in polychromed wood and has a height of 60 cm. Pay particular attention to the carving of this work, including the face of St. Martin and the beggar. St. Martin is seated on a white horse, with a light blue shirt, green skirt, red coat, all lined with gold. The beggar wears a brown shirt and long grey stockings.