J.B. Van Langenhaeckestraat 11
9400 Appelterre - Eichem (Ninove)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
It was produced by the house of Mr Mathias Zens, a famous sculptor from Ghent for the sum of 5,000 fr. It was donated by Mr Benediktus Josephus Schollaert and dedicated to Saint Gertrude of Nivelles.
It contains relics of three martyrs:
- Saint Adauctus,
- Saint Benedict of Nursia, founder of the Benedictines, patron saint of Europe;
- Saint Felix of Valois, priest, hermit, co-founder of the Trinitarian Order (deceased on 11.4.1212).
The high altar includes:
- to the left: Saint Benedict, Saint Matthew (the human), and Saint Mark (the lion);
- to the right: Saint Luke (the bull), Saint John (the eagle), and Saint Gertrude of Nivelles.
The pulpit was produced by Sir Nicholas Bonnet of Nivelles in the year 1764. The sounding board is crowned by the statue of Saint Gertrude of Nivelles and trumpet-blowing angels. The tub is decorated on the corners with the symbols of the four evangelists: the bull (Luke), the human (Matthew), the lion (Mark), and the eagle (John). The tub consists of panels with reliefs of the Good Shepherd and Saint John the Baptist. Below the tub, one can see the sun, the symbol of Christ.
The organ is a gift from Mr mayor Jules Vanderschueren and Miss Irma Vanderschueren. It was produced in 1924 by Léon and Gustave Daem from Appelterre - Eichem for the price of 36,250,- fr., multiplied by an amount of 6,300 fr. for the closet and the fan. On Sunday, March 22, 1925 it was dedicated and inaugurated, and was played by Mr Léandre Vilain, teacher at the Royal Conservatory of Ghent and organist in the main church and the casino Kursaal in Ostend.
Composition: 29 front pipes, of which the highest is 2.80 m. and the smallest 1.10 m. The organ consists of 12 full playing aids, 2 keyboards of 56 notes, and 1 pedal of 27 notes; the metal pipes are made of 50% tin.
The clock was cast in 1836 by A. Ludovicus Vanaerschodt - Vandengheyn from Leuven. It weighs 750 kg and has a diameter of 95 cm and a height of 85 cm. On the clock, three saints are depicted in bass-relief: Saint Gertrude, Saint Roch, and Our Lady (Pietà).
Godfather: Benediktus Schollaert, mayor - and godmother: Theresia Buydens, his wife. Pastor: E.H. J.B. Van Damme.
The clock was electrified in April 1927 by Casteleyn for the price of 34,500 fr. The electrical system for ringing and chiming was renewed by Jérome De Visscher from Ghent at the time of pastor De Vleeschouwer in 1964.
In this side chapel, one can find a stone altar with a reredos on it depicting Saint Anne, Our Lady, and Saint Joachim. Fenced in to the right and the left by an angel with a sign. On the altar, there’s a copper altar cross with a height of 56 cm and an arm width of 26 cm. Next to it, there are six copper candlesticks with tiny merlons at the top, 40 cm high and with two knots on the stem.
The left side chapel includes a stone altar with reredos, with in the middle a tabernacle above which a little Breton Calvary was installed, and a copper engraved door in which eleven semicircular gemstones were included.
The two side scenes depict Our Lady who on the one hand hands over a scapular to Saint Simon Stock, and on the other hand hands over the rosary to Saint Dominic.
On the altar, one can also see six copper candlesticks of the same model as seen on the right altar.