01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 13.00
Tue 9.00 - 13.00
Wed 9.00 - 13.00
Thu 9.00 - 13.00
Fri 9.00 - 13.00
Sat 9.00 - 13.00
The current Saint Christopher church was built between 1785 and 1791 after the old church completely burned to the ground in 1783. It became a brick hall church with tower by the design of architect François Drieghe in the style and views of the classicism with extra attention to use of space incidence of light.
Both world wars created a lot of damage to the church building. For example, the front of the building had to be completely restored after a dynamite explosion. Behind the church stands a war memorial for the victims of both world wars, with a Sacred Heart statue (1928).
The church is upholstered with 18th century and primarily 19th century quality furniture, paintings and sculptures amongst which there is an oak paneling decorating the entire church. The main altar was crowned with a painting “The road to Emmaus” (1812) by Joseph Paelinck. The side altars of Our Lady and the Holy Cross are crowned by groups of statues by J. Nimmegeeers made in 1852, The organ from 1929 is by the brothers Reygaert with piping from the old organ of J.J. Delhaye from 1832.
The Saint Christopher church is the oldest place of pilgrimage of Saint Christopher. Every year there is a Christopher fair on which the road users are being blessed (pedestrians, cyclists, drivers) at the Christopher pit on the pleasant village square on which a 17th century pillory adorns.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
More information about the church (NL)