9968 Oosteeklo (Assenede)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 16.00
Wed 9.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 16.00
Sun 9.00 - 16.00
This classic brick building dating from 1781 was restored between 1978 and 1987. There are three naves under a single sloping roof; the furnishings coming from another church have been replaced during the 19th century.
A Calvary, an 18th century wood cross painted white and located over an ancient charnel house backs onto the southern façade. This Calvary, flanked by statues of the Virgin and Saint John and protected by a porch roof, was restored in 1938 by G Dupon of Bruges While some memorial plaques are placed on the outer wall of the church on either side of the Calvary, other white marble tombstones are found in the interior.
Inside, the main altar is of marble and there are numerous paintings :”The mystic marriage of Saint Catherine of Alexandria” (1662), “The beheading of Saint Barbara”(17th century),”Our Lady of Sorrows”(1873),”Saint Barbara by Jozef Vindevogel (1900).
Also worth seeing is the organ by Van Pethegem , six neo-gothic polychrome statues of the saints and seven wooden statues by the priest- sculptor, Valery Stuyver.
The high altar was donated in 1824 by Father Nikolaas De Roover (1751-1833), a resident of Oosteeklo. The tabernacle is more recent and dates from 1935. It is signed Henri Verdonck from Ghent.
The Christ the King statue has been in the church since 1998. It was cut down by priest sculptor Valery Stuyver, vicar in Oosteeklo from 1948-1956. Around the sixties of last century it was made of one piece of wood and without any preliminary design.
The organ was made by Van Peteghem in Ghent and dates from the second half of the 18th century. Over the years there have been repairs and extensions to the organ, including in 1869 by the well-known firm Anneessens.
The paintings on the side walls in the choir are painted on canvas and then glued to the wall. The Last Supper and the Three Kings are depicted here.
The Stations of the Cross are sculpted and polychromed. It dates from 1894 and was made in the studio of the De Beule brothers from Ghent. The inscription under the fourth and eleventh station was translated as follows:
1 to 7: Sculptured by Van Den Steene and painted by Haverbeke in 1894.
8 to 14: Sculpted by Buysse and painted by Van Hecke in 1894.
The vat of the pulpit is decorated with copper reliefs representing the Good Shepherd and the Evangelists. The stalls date from the second half of the 18th century.