9750 Zingem (Kruisem)
01 April - 31 October
Mon 8.00 - 19.00
Tue 8.00 - 19.00
Wed 8.00 - 19.00
Thu 8.00 - 19.00
Fri 8.00 - 19.00
Sat 8.00 - 19.00
Sun 8.00 - 19.00
01 November - 31 March
Mon 8.00 - 17.00
Tue 8.00 - 17.00
Wed 8.00 - 17.00
Thu 8.00 - 17.00
Fri 8.00 - 17.00
Sat 8.00 - 17.00
Sun 8.00 - 17.00
Of the Romanesque church, only the semi- circular arches on the east side remain. The lateral Gothic naves are the same height as the central one and date from about 1500.The southern tower was completed in 1635.It is tall, elegant and octagonal and its spire is adorned with four ornamental turrets.
The level of the ground around the church was lower until 1700 as the pillars of the portal, which are partially buried, testify. The main altar in white marble (1847) carries a bust of Christ in relief. Above the altar is a painting” Jesus on the Cross”(1632) by Antoon Van den Heuvel from Gent. Right and left are wooden statues depicting Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Around the chancel are paintings of the four evangelists. The altar in the southern nave is dedicated to Saint Bavon and Saint Catherine of Alexandria. In the niche above the altar is the wooden statue of Saint Bavon , patron saint of the church. The altar in the northern nave is dedicated to Our Lady who is glorified in the painting “the Annunciation of the Virgin” (1816) by Thomas Blaton. In the porch is a grisaille (tint drawing) on cloth representing “The Virgin and Child with a rosary” (18th century).
Other statues and furnishings complete this magnificent interior; e.g. An old polychrome statue “Christ on the cold stone”.
At the back of the north wall on the outside is a Calvary, a group of wood statues from the 18th century.
In the northern side aisle is the beautiful portico altar with oak columns. It contains the painting 'The message to Mary by the angel Gabriel' by Thomas Blaton (1816). At the top a striking 18th century grisaille 'Mary with Child and Rosary'.
The main altar was installed in 1882, when the choir was redesigned in a neoclassical style. The imposing painting 'The Crucifixion' behind the altar was painted by Antonio Vanden Hill of Ghent (1632). On the wall of the choir hang paintings of the four evangelists. Left and right white painted statues of St. Peter and Paul. At the very top is the dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit. The choir stalls date from 1704.
An impressive oak pulpit from the 18th century. On the four corners are the symbols of the evangelists; on the soundboard the dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit., Also Saint Bavo, patron of the church, is prominently present on the front, as a knight with a falcon.
This Maria-with-child stands under a beautiful canopy and probably dates from the 18th century. She wears a silver crown and sceptre. Watch her finely cut face!
In 1767 bought from the abbey of Beaupré (Grimminge) and ca. 1785 extended with an underpositive. The many original parts of the Ghent organ builders Van Peteghem and the beautiful sound make it a valuable organ. Since 2012 the top keyboard can be played again. Further restoration is necessary. The beautiful organ case in Louis XV style dates from the 18th century.
This statue shows Christ after the flogging, before he is given the cross to bear. The statue comes from a chapel on the grounds of the Tiendenhof (Dorpsstraat) and probably dates from the 16th century. In 1996 it was restored by the local artist Gerard Hollaert.