Rue Jacquemart Boulle 30
7191 Ecaussinnes-Lalaing (Ecaussinnes)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 18.00
Tue 10.00 - 18.00
Wed 10.00 - 18.00
Thu 10.00 - 18.00
Fri 10.00 - 18.00
Sat 10.00 - 18.00
Sun 10.00 - 18.00
abbé Léon Jous (FR) : +32 67 44 23 29
Saturday 6 pm
Seen from the outside, the building is in the shape of a Latin cross with two distinctive parts. The older Gothic part dates from the 16th century and was built in blue stone from the well known quarries of the region. This is the chapel Saint Michel, which was built at the initiative of Michel de Croy, knight of the Golden Fleece, a member of the illustrious and renowned princely family still present in the region, notably in the castle close to Roeulx.. The other part of the church is in brick and is from the 18th century.
Inside one sees the fine brick vaults of the choir and transept and several original and unexpected artworks: As well as the mausoleum of Michel de Croy, the funerary slab of Blandina Rubens, sister of the celebrated 17th century painter, there are also the memorials of the van der Burch (17th century),the Assumption of De Crayer (17th century),the organ Cavaille-Kholl, unique to Hainault and the gift of Anna Boch.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece in 1500.
Only the top is made of black Italian marble. The whole is made of Ecaussinnes blue stone.
Gift of Miss Anna Boch (+1936). Musician and painter, daughter of the founder of the company Boch in La Louvière.
Sister of Paul Pierre Rubens, the painter from Antwerp. Both buried in the church.
The Assumption of the Virgin Mary. On loan from the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium.
A set of remarkable gravestones from a number of quarry masters, priests and lords of Lalaing.
Especially the lords of the castle: the Van der Burch.
The floor is in "small granite". The keystone bears the coat of arms of the de Lalaing family. The choir contains three stained-glass windows and a fountain.
At the back of the church is the chapel of Saint Rita, founded by the parish priest of la Colette.
The lid of the baptismal font is in copper and so are the fourteen stations of the Stations of the Cross. Everything comes from the art studio of the abbey of Maredsous (1953).
Placed in 1908 in the porch, it comes from the castle farm of Marche-lez-Ecaussinnes and is the work of the Ecaussinnois sculptor François de la Plarière (18th century). It bears the coat of arms of the Rifflart, lords of Ittre in Brabant but also of Marche-lez-Ecaussinnes. This sculptor is also the author of the two holy water fonts.