Place Saint-Remacle 12
01 July - 31 August
Sun 14.00 - 17.00
All parishes of a pastoral group, to be clarified,
only come together during major holidays.
This monumental building, inspired by the architecture of Roman basilicas, was built at the beginning of the 19th century thanks to the patronage of wealthy industrialists at a time when the town prospered in wool and textiles. The designers clearly wanted to provide their town with a prestigious building of class.
The choir is impressive: the imposing high altar in marble surrounded by 4 large stone statues representing the “fathers” of the church (Ambroise, Augustin,Gregoire and Jerome);oak stalls, paintings on the walls and ceiling. The generous patrons, Edoaurd and Raymond Biolley who contributed a great deal to the erection of the building evidently wanted to be recognised, if indirectly, for this. A painting in the choir depicts Raymond, the patron saint of Biolley industries with the arms of the donor in the corner. Another noticeable indication of these same donors: the magnificent carved oak pulpit at the foot of which is a sculpture, again, of Saint Raymond and Saint Edouard who are presenting a plan of the church to Saint Remacle as though the industrialists were asking for his approval.
Behind this pulpit is a statue of saint Remacle dating from 1693 and leaning against the column supporting the rood loft is a statue of Saint Sévère the patron of weavers, essential for a town dedicated to textiles for so long.
4860 Wegnez (Pepinster)
08.30 - 18.00 Open
09.30 - 17.00 Open
4860 Tancrémont (Pepinster)
08.00 - 18.00 Open
The Verviers region at the time of the industrial revolution (walking tour) - Follow in the footsteps of the great figures of 19th century Verviers industry