Rue du Centre
6672 Beho (Gouvy)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
The main pieces of furniture in the church were carved in oak wood between 1713 and 1724 by Master Jean Georges Scholtus of Bastogne in a transitional style between the Louis XIV and Louis XV styles. He is also the author of the two side altars, the pulpit, the statues (of which only the statue of the Sorrowful Virgin remains) and the reliquary.
The high altar is imposing and forms a beautiful piece, composed in particular of lateral columns recalling the instruments of the Passion and six large oak statues. The ornamentation of the altarpiece as a whole shows a very clear idea: the glorification of the Church.
Unlike in other churches, the altar of the Virgin Mary is on the right. In the centre of the altarpiece is a large statue of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows. She is shown standing without the bloody body of the Saviour.
In the centre of the altarpiece, stands a statue of the risen Christ; higher up, two angels, each holding a cross; in a niche, a small statue of St John the Baptist and, finally, higher up, a statue of St George.
This reliquary, made at the beginning of the 18th century by Master Scholtus, is a rectangular box made of carved wood. Circular oculi open around the perimeter through which the relics appear. In 1865, three of the relics (considered to be authentic) could be exhibited: a piece of the Holy Cross, a relic of St. Peter and one of St. Lawrence.
It is as it came from the hands of Master Scholtus. The four evangelists' fugues are carved on the panels. Above the lampshade is a St Michael overcoming the devil.
There are three carved supports in the gallery. Note the three old wooden figures that support the loggia.