Spermaliestraat - Westendelaan
01 January - 31 December
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 9.00 - 12.00
The church of Saint Willibrord stands out because of its two towers of different styles and materials. The white stone tower (previously a lighthouse) is a remnant of the 17th century church which was preserved during the building’s demolition in the 19th century. In 1848 a new Neo-Gothic church was built in brick.
It was rebuilt in the 1920’s after its destruction during WWI. In 1930-35 it was enlarged towards the south and with a second brick tower in the south east in Neo-Romanesque- Byzantine style. It is a square area with three choirs, a large nave and narrower side naves.
On the pediment above the entrance Christ, Mary Mediatrix and Saint Willibrord are represented.
The altar piece dedicated to Saint Willibrord(1854) shows scenes from his life. In 1935 another altar was set up alongside this one.
The miraculous cross was buried in the beach during the Iconoclasm and was slowly forgotten but it reappeared spontaneously in 1657.
Inside the church are restored frescoes, stained glass windows and some items coming from the old church.