01 January - 31 December
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 8.00 - 18.00
The current church in Classical style was constructed in 1777 (the date can be read above the north-western entrance) en has since been enlarged twice in order to support the growing number of citizens.
The impressive tower is older (approximately 1500). It was damaged several times by lightning. Only at the beginning of the 20th century a lightning rod was placed on top. The statue of Servatius at the base of the tower was revealed in 1997 at the tower celebrations for its 500th birthday.
Located at the back of the church is a treasury with some valuable sculptures (15th - 17th century), originating from the old Gothic church and the St. Roch chapel: Saint Margaret the Virgin (with the dragon), Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Barbara, an angel with a crown of thorns and a lance, Mary with child…
The wooden statue ‘Christ on the Cold Stone’ (1530) would presumably refer to a part of the Passion that is not described in the Gospel. This stone can still be seen in Jerusalem and is called Sancta Maria de Spasmo or Jesus in fear. In the late Middle Ages ‘Christ on the Cold Stone’ was widely and actively idolized.
The organ loft was made in 1849 by a carpenter from Diepenbeek called Hermanus Moonen. On top stands the old organ, which is decorated with a sculpture of Saint Servatius. The new organ is used by the nearby conservatory for the training of organists.
The main and side altars in baroque style came from the Augustinian Church in Hasselt. The tabernacle dates back to the 18th century and came from the cathedral of Hasselt. On the walls of the side isles we can see large paintings depicting Saint Servatius, Saint Servatius on the Council of Nicaea and Our Lady with bishop Kerkhofs of Liège.
See the treasures of this church online on erfgoedplus.be