01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
The church of St.Pietersbanden owes its name to the chains of Saint Peter. The church is in the tourist centre of Lommel which celebrated its millennium in 1990.
The church has superb stained glass windows by Gust Ladon (Ghent 1863-1942). The book “ Uit licht geboren” was published here and is a seminal work on the art of stained glass . A restoration of this unique collection of 32 windows was started in 1987.
In 2000 a carillon was installed in the 57 metres high, gothic tower dating from the 15th century. The nave of this dean’s church, by the architect Martens, is a brilliant example of 20th century neogothic style. The tower and the nave are classified.
Inside there are beautiful statues of saints and a colossal organ.
See the treasures of this church online on erfgoedplus.be
The Sint-Pietersbanden church was recognised as a protected monument in 1996. It is a splendid example of neo-Gothic art and craftsmanship. Not only does it fit in seamlessly with the old tower (ca. 1500) in Kempen Gothic style, but it also forms a harmonious whole of architecture and decoration. Master builder Hyacinth Martens and architect Vincent Lenertz signed the building plans, which were realized by contractor August Leurs from Geel (1900-1902). When the church was inaugurated in March 1902, twelve more years were needed to upholster and decorate the building.
It is undoubtedly to the credit of architect Lenertz that the interior design of the church shows a unity that is rarely found. The architect sought a total concept in which all the components made their specific contribution to create a harmonious unity and a suitable religious atmosphere. The language of form of the fourteenth century was maintained down to the smallest details. It is striking how Lenertz sought the co-designers of the silverware, the wall decoration and the stained-glass windows in the circle of the neo-Gothic St Luke's guild to which he himself belonged. For all parts he brought the most renowned artists to Lommel.
Lenertz himself made the detailed design drawings of the church furniture that were made by the studio of Paul Roemaet from Leuven (3 altarpieces, 4 confessionals, a pulpit, a communion bench and choir stalls). The fact that the altarpiece's altarpiece was lent out for several months on the occasion of an exhibition on the neo-Gothic period in Leuven (1989) is proof of the high quality of the sculpture by experts.
Lenertz also supervised the projects for the stained glass windows and the murals. Ghent top glass artist Gust Ladon was asked by him to design the 32 stained-glass windows. Both in terms of symbolism, shade and design, the stained-glass windows are all works of art of high quality. The Lommel's glass patrimony is also unique because all windows were designed and executed by the same glassmaker.
For the murals, Lenertz appealed to the Liege artist Adolphe Tassin, then a great authority in this field. He designed a total interior with beautiful colours, life-size figures and a series of exceptionally beautiful angels. The paintings were made in 1913-1914 after the last stained-glass windows were placed, so that the incidence of light and the play of colours could be taken into account. In 1950 a large part of the murals were painted over. This process was repeated in 1976-1977, when almost everything disappeared under a white crepilla layer. After thorough investigation, the murals were cleared and restored in 2014-2015.
In 1843-1844 the organ was built by the then unknown organ builder Arnold Clerinx (1816-1898). Until then Clerinx had only built two organs, namely in Liège and Kortessem, but because both organs were lost, the Lommel organ can be considered as the oldest still existing realisation of Clerinx. This organ is not only historically valuable because of its respectable age, but also the organ case is a rare example of a case in a strict neo-classical style.