9750 Huise-Zingem (Kruisem)
01 June - 30 September
Fri 10.00 - 16.00
Sat 10.00 - 16.00
Sun 10.00 - 16.00
+32 9 383 51 33
Huise is said to be the birthplace of Saint Adelardus, a 9th century Carolingian abbot whose statue stands in front of the church. According to tradition, he financed the construction of the first church. Nothing of this oldest church was preserved, but the 13th-century successor was. The 13th-century transept is still clearly recognisable. The building underwent adjustments in the 18th century and was enlarged the following century. During all these renovations the architects were inspired by the Romanesque architectural style, among other things by the consistent use of Tournai stone, which gives the whole a homogeneous appearance.
Architect Auguste Van Assche left his mark on the whole in 1889. He also designed the altars. The stained-glass windows (G. Landon) show St. Peter, St. Urban and of course St. Adalardus. The interior was designed by Fr. Coppejan's neo-Gothic painting in 1901. Of these, only the apostles remain because of heavy damage during the second world war. The rest was unfortunately painted over in 1980.
Around the church is still the old cemetery. Several 18th century tombstones are incorporated in the walls of the church portal.
And this: scattered throughout the village there are fifteen chapels of the Ommegang. A first one can be found near the church, next to the Tree of Liberty: a small chapel with pillars "The coronation of Mary".
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
H. Adelardus is the local saint. He was a nephew of Charlemagne and abbot of Corbie (northern France). As a saint he is the patron saint of agriculture and horticulture, which fits in a rural village like Huise.
At the end of the 19th century, the worship of Adelardus experienced a revival. This is how we see his statue outside in the cemetery. In the renovated church we find him on the altar of the south aisle, together with H. Peter and H. Urbanus. Adelardus is always depicted as abbot (with staff and monastery) and as agricultural saint (with sickle).
The statue of Our Lady with Child Jesus is an expression of the great worship of Mary in this region. It wears beautiful clothes and a silver crown and stands under a canopy. It was probably made in the 18th century. The statue, the clothing and the canopy were beautifully restored in 2013 by a private sponsor.
The main altar from 1895 is made of painted stone in Romanesque style. Eight church fathers and, on the tabernacle, the four evangelists are depicted. The intention is clear: here the Good News of Christ is proclaimed and explained.
The two high stained-glass windows behind the altar were made by G. Ladon and depict scenes from the life of Christ. At the top is the Ascension (His feet are just visible!).
The murals show mighty angels.
In the past, notables of the village were buried in the church. From 1800 this was no longer allowed. Some tombstones are embedded in the back of the church wall: you can see Vijvens, Thienpondt and Landrieu mentioned. In front of the northern aisle is the huge brass graveplate of the family della Faille d'Huysse. These barons were the mayors of Huise for 150 years.
No church without church treasures! Here are beautiful chalices and monstrances, partly from the 18th century, made of gilded silver. Special are the silver objects that were donated in the 18th century by the (congregations for) boys and girls of the village, but also by the weavers.
The Schyven organ from 1898 is a fine example of the 19th-century symphonic-orchestral romantic style for organs. It was built in Brussels after mediation by Frans-August Gevaert (1828-1908). This famous composer and music theorist was born and raised in Huise, in the house to the right of the church. He also paid for the bass pipes of the organ.