In Sint-Martens-Lierde, the remains of the former priory
of Chartreux Sint-Maartens-Bosse have been preserved: some 18th century buildings, namely the presbytery, the entrance gate, part of the guest quarter and the former monastery church.The Carthusian monks
are a contemplative religious order of hermits living in community, founded in France in 1084. From the 14th century onwards, the order spread throughout all Europe. In Belgium, the first foundation took place in Herne in 1314. The Sint-Martens-Lierde one was created in 1329
on the initiative of Jan Gheylinc of Geraardsbergen, town councillor of Lodewijk van Nevers, Count of Flanders. In 1783, Emperor Joseph II declared the order useless and dissolved it. The monastery church was inaugurated in 1785 as a parish church dedicated to Saint Martin.
The church was built between 1722 and 1730 to replace the dilapidated Gothic church of the monastery. It became a large church with a single nave and six bays
, crowned by a small bell tower. The furniture comes from the old dilapidated parish church.
Today, the interior is characterized by a rococo stucco ceiling
and important church furniture.
The arms of former benefactors can be seen on the consoles. "The "Crucifixion", the painting of the high altar, was made in the 18th century. The Rococo altar and its woodcarvings date from 1743. The side altars are dedicated to Our Lady and Saint Barbara. Of particular note is the woodcarving
of the pulpit, confessional, stalls and oak panelling in the choir. Around the interior doors, we can recognize Saints Roch and Martin.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Flemish Masters in Situ