Originally, there presumably stood a 12th century cruciform church, built of mountain stone. During the 14th and 15th century, the choir was expanded upon and the side aisles were added. The church suffered from the iconoclasm and was restored afterwards. During the first World War, the church was almost entirely destroyed, to be rebuilt between 1922 and 1925 in neo-gothic style.
It is a three-aisled brick church building
with a prebuilt western tower. The tower consists of five parts, corner turrets on the chemin de ronde (a raised protected walkway). The tower is crowned by a spire and is flanked by a stair turret.
The furniture is predominantly in neo-gothic style, although there is a bluestone headstone of the knight Adrien Vander Woestine
from 1527. This family played an important role in the history of the village of Beselare.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online