8420 Klemskerke (De Haan)
27 March - 05 November
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
From Holy Week until the first week of November
The oldest written document on Klemskerke dates back to 1003, in which the village is called “Clemeskirca”, church of Cleme. The protected church is situated on the east side of this century-old polder village and surrounded by a churchyard with hedges and pollard willows. It is a Hall church with 3 naves and an octagonal tower.
The present church of Saint Clemens is built on the remnants of a 13th-14th century church , of which a side chancel and tower foundations (14th century) are preserved. As a result of the ravages of the iconoclasts (end 16th, beginning 17th century), the west part of the nave was pulled down, the original crossing tower thus becoming the front tower of the church. Already in the middle of the 17th century the church was almost completely restored.
Three times the spire was damaged by lightning. Because it was an important beacon for the fisherman at sea, it was restored each time, for the last time in 1770.
The interior was thoroughly restored in 1890-1895 under the guidance of architect Aumery. From that period stem the neo-gothic elements: the picture of the Cross (main altar), the side altars and the pulpit. The 17th century paintings, furniture and polychrome statues were saved.
In 1902-1903 the exterior was restored and renewed and a rosette window was added above the west entrance.
The church is situated on the bicycle routes “Old dyke route”, “North Sea route LF1” and “Bruges Ommeland route”.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online