Rue de Charleroi
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 16.00
Wed 9.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 16.00
Sun 9.00 - 16.00
The church, nowadays a parish church, was originally the chapel of a convent of the Franciscan order known as the "Friars Minor Recollets", an order that wanted to lead an austere and secluded life. After the departure of the monks in the 19th century, the convent was used as a hospital and then as a school and court, but the church was restored and was given back to worship in 1964.
On the outside, one notices the high slender windows and the alternation of blue and white stone. Inside, the single nave is luminous thanks to the large windows and the clear plastering of the walls. The colourful stained glass windows in the choir and the glass roof of the facade, by André Blank, are welcome. At the entrance to the north chapel, a white stone Virgin and Child by John Willame and on the rood screen pillars, two ceramics by Max Van der Linden depicting the two patron saints of the parish, St. John the Evangelist and St. Nicholas.
Also to be seen, the shrine of Saint Marie de Nivelles, known as d'Oignies, and, on the façade, a bronze Saint Francis by Christian Leroy.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
More info (FR)
The shrine containing the human remains of the Holy Marie of Oignies was made in 1608 by the Namur silversmith Henri Libert and has the shape of a gilded box of copper and silver. The roof-shaped lid and borders are decorated with ten panels (of which one is missing) of embossed and chased silver representing scenes from the life of the Saint.
On the lid:
- The arrival of Marie of Oignies
- Marie comforted by the angels
- The death of the Saint
- Jacques de Vitry, rescued by the storm
On the perimeter:
- Marie buries the lepers in Willambroux (Nivelles)
- Marie visited by Saint John
- Marie between two angels
- Saint Nicholas and Saint Augustine, patron saints of the abbey of Oignies
- Marie healing the sick
In 1817, the last prior of the abbey of Oignies donated the shrine to the Saint Nicholas church located in Nivelles, the parish where the saint was born. In 1963, on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the death of the Saint, the shrine was restored by the Royal Institute for Artistic Heritage and was placed in the Saint John and Saint Nicholas church (as a replacement of the Saint Nicholas church which was destroyed by the war).
The walls supporting the rood screen carry two ceramic reliefs by the artist Max Van der Linden representing the two saints of the parish.
Since 2009, a Way of the Cross has been installed on the north side of the church. The four stations in terracotta are the work of Christian Leroy whose life span didn’t allow him to complete what he had started. The others were made by the artist Bernard Haurez in bronze.
The stained glass windows in the apse and the entrance wall are decorated with stained glass windows by the artist André Blank, as well as those in the chapter house of the monastery.
A Virgin and Child in white stone by Jean Williame is in the corner of the side chapel.
Outside, against the mainstay to the right of the entrance, a bronze Saint Francis welcomes the visitor with his palms lifted to heaven, and reminds the visitor of the monastery’s distant origins.
09.00 - 17.00 Open
7191 Ecaussinnes-Lalaing (Ecaussinnes)
10.00 - 18.00 Open
7190 Marche-lez-Ecaussinnes (Ecaussinnes)
09.00 - 16.00 Open
7170 Fayt-lez-Manage (Manage)
09.00 - 19.00 Open