Rue de l'Eglise
7100 Haine-Saint-Pierre (La Louvière)
01 June - 31 August
Wed 12.00 - 16.00
Thu 17.00 - 21.00
Sun 9.00 - 13.00
+32 64 21 59 21
Sunday 11 am
This semi-Classical style church was built on the site of an ancient 11th century building.. It was under the tutelage of the Abbey of Aulne as the timeline above the entrance door indicates.
The bulbous bell tower is exceptional for the region and in 1780 it had three bells. Only one of these remained after French troops had passed through. It was replaced in 1984 and is now exhibited in the nave on the left.
Apart from the stained glass windows, numerous tombstones and funeral monuments enhance the interior. Those of Jean –François Hossart and Anne- Marie Philipart include a bas relief depicting Saint Francis of Assisi.
The first priest recorded at Haine- Saint- Pierre is Isaac de Haine in 1206.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
1. Destroyed in 1779, the church was rebuilt in 1782 as indicated by the chronogram above the front door, the translation of which is "Let it not be supported, but let it be said: was founded in honor of the Prince of the Apostles under Joseph Scrippe, Abbot of Alder". Looking at the chronogram, it is easy to distinguish the three merlettes that attest to allegiance to Aulne Abbey as well as the coat of arms of Abbot Scrippe.
Saint Peter is the patron saint of the church. A yellow copper head represents him on an altar dedicated to him.
The large organs were installed in the "rood house". They were dismantled and reinstalled in the church choir during the major renovation work in the 1960s. We also find in their niche, four carved wooden statuettes representing the great saints venerated in the region: Saint Eloi, Saint Catherine, Saint Nicolas and Saint Barbe.
All the windows of the church are equipped with artistic stained glass windows. So there are fourteen of them.
In the choir, each of the four evangelists have their own stained glass windows.
-in the right side nave: Saint Pierre, Saint François and Saint Benoît
-in the left side nave: The Virgin Mary, Saint Joseph and the stained glass window of the theological virtues.
-in the central nave: on the left, Saint Barbara and Saint Eloi, on the right, Saint Theresa and the stained glass window in homage to the Great War 1914-1918.
-on the facade the magnificent stained glass window in honour of Our Lady of the Sick.
In the church there are several tumbling stones. 18 tombstones have been identified.
The stone of Nicolas du Terne (" adviser to Emperor Charles V ") and that of François Hossart (Lord of Aimeries) are very interesting on the local level in the sense that they confirm the presence of the lordships of Le Terne and Hossart.
Nowadays, the oldest building in the village remains on the square: the cure.
It was already considered by the priest Thomas Mascart when he arrived in 1676 as "old, obsolete and partly ruined". It had been given to the church by André del Motte, whose coat of arms can still be seen above the entrance porch. It is worth noting that at that time, the "primitive Hagna" (in other words, the parish of Haine-St-Pierre) extended as far as Bellecourt and Bois d'Haine, which explains this note on the coat of arms referring to the "de la Motte" lords established in the latter locality.