30 Rue des Manoirs
01 May - 30 September
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 12.00
Leaving Arras by the road towards the coast (route de St.Pol) the curious stone spire that crowns the high tower of the church cannot be missed. The village is situated in a hollow, but the church, built on a medieval castle mound dominates the landscape, as does the chimney of the old sugar refinery near-by. The church of Savy is the highest church in the region with a spire having hooks, and is visible more than 10 kilometers away. Spires with hooks are a particularity of the Artois region. It is necessary to look up to appreciate the variety of sculptures which decorate the edges of the hexagonal spire.
Certified as early as the 12th century, the building was rebuilt in the 16th and 17th centuries. It is then that the imposing 5-storey tower is built, crowned by a crenellated terrace with a round path and surmounted by the hooked arrow.
The church is entered through a small porch on the north side of the church, whose vault is decorated with keystones representing the four evangelists and the Pascal Lamb.
Among the furnishings can be found a confessional with the representation of the father confessor with his finger on his lips symbolising the secret of the confessional. The stained glass windows remind us of the life of St. Martin, evangeliser of the region.
The church of St. Martin is on the supplementary list of Historical Monuments, since 1926, and the village has the label “ Village Patrimoine”.