01 April - 30 September
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
+33 3 21 86 02 30
The church of Saint Martin is a remarkable and impressive building, one of the most beautiful in Artois, described by the author Bernanos in his books.
In the flamboyant gothic style, it is vaulted along the entire 42 meters of its length. The belfry is a wooden structure, slate covered, not very high, over the transept crossing. The choir has a seigniorial chapel (1425) on the north side, ordered by Jeanne du Roy, widow of Jean IV, lord of Créquy and Fressin. It contains the oldest carved stone altar retable, 15th century, in the Pas de Calais. It is a classified Historical Monument.
The transept is slightly later. The nave and the two side aisles were built between 1473 and 1518. A fire in 1525 caused its partial destruction, but it was rebuilt in 1530. The vaulting of the nave and south aisle were finished in 1690.
The architecture reveals small master-pieces; finely carved ribs on the arches between the nave and the side aisles. There are also octagonal multilayered capital stones, an ornament frequently found in Picardie between the 15th and 18th centuries.
The building was restored between 1854 and 1865 ; it was classified in 1906.
Source : Wiki Pas-de-Calais