Rue de l'Eglise
01 June - 30 September
Wed 14.00 - 18.00
Sat 14.00 - 18.00
Sun 14.00 - 18.00
The church of Hautecloque is one of the so-called « second reconstruction » churches. Effectively, under its 16th century appearance it dates from 1959 and is the only “identical” reconstruction in the diocese.
The old church, with a 16th century porch tower, an 18th century sanctuary, and a neo-gothic nave, was destroyed during the allied bombings of 20th June and 9th July 1944. The town council chose to have the rebuilding done identically, in spite of the increased cost. The site was directed by the architectural office of Battut and Warnesson, who also directed sites around St. Pol sur Ternoise, Frevent, and Fruges. These two architects have linked here the traditional and the modern, using the original form of the building but employing material that is rapid to use and economic: re-enforced concrete.
The interior is executed in the same way, with the original dispositions. Concrete is widely used , but magnified by the re-use of the column capitals of 1870. Charles Hollart decorated this church which has a blue atmosphere. The ornamentation is completed by a series of stained glass windows telling the life of St. Leger, who, in the central window, blesses the new church.