Place de Goegnies
7110 Houdeng-Goegnies (La Louvière)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 12.30 • 14.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 12.30 • 14.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 12.30 • 14.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 12.30 • 14.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 12.30 • 17.30 - 20.00
Sun 9.00 - 12.30
Saturday 6 pm
This Neo-Gothic church was built in 1905 on the site of an ancient graveyard. This large well proportioned brick and stone building can host 800 people. It is topped by a tower and an octagonal spire.
Thanks to numerous stained glass windows the interior is bright. The central nave is supported by cylindrical columns of blue stone. The baptismal fonts are 16th century.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
The many statues (Sainte-Rita, Sainte-Thérèse, Saint-Antoine, Sacré-Coeur de Jésus) have been gathered near the Virgin at the entrance of the church to encourage passers-by to pray.
The Virgin rests on a pedestal composed of the uprights of the former pulpit of truth. The whole is surrounded by the communion benches.
The reliefs on the altarpiece represent the Last Supper and the Wedding at Cana. The tabernacle with the the Lamb of the Apocalypse and the pelican feeding its young. It was donated by Alphonse Haroy and Céleste Parée.
The left stained glass window was made in 1911 by Bertrand Bardenhewer. It represents the Virgin and Child who gives the rosary to Dominic of Guzman. One day, Saint Dominic, particularly discouraged, asked the Virgin to help him in a difficult mission. The Virgin advised him to pray the rosary and he was largely answered.
The side altar on the right represents Saint Gery and the one on the left represents the Virgin and Child. Both are bordered on either side by two scenes related to the life of the Virgin: the Virgin at the temple and the marriage of Mary and Joseph. They were made in 1909 by the Tournaisian cabinetmaker and sculptor Achille Durieu Gahide. His works can be found in many churches: Ronquières, Ham-sur-Heure and Maredret Abbey.
The stained glass window on the right was made by the same craftsman. It represents Saint Gery baptizing the leper body of a fisherman.