62500 Cormette (Zudausques)
once a month
Cormettes is a hamlet that was joined to Zudausques in the 19th century. It has a church attested in the 14th century, which was entirely rebuilt in the 16th century.
Several elements make it a building of great interest, classified in 1934.
Among its architectural curiosities can be noted the rose-window over the porch, and above all the rare wall-belfry with an arcade, called a ‘campenard’, and built in the first years of the 17th century. The rounded arch vaults of the nave are separated from the side aisles by broken arch vaults supported by columns having facet-decorated capitals. Paintings of various periods, a contemporary wall-painting, sculptures and old tomb stones contribute to the interest of the interior.
Dedicated to Saint Folquin, bishop of Therouanne in the 9th century, it is the pilgrimage to Saint Lambert, bishop of Maastricht, which has drawn the faithful since the 15th century. This probably explains the church plan, nearer to that of a town church than to that of a country church.