3090 Jezus-Eik (Overijse)
01 November - 31 March
Wed 10.00 - 16.00
Sun 10.00 - 16.00
01 April - 31 October
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
Also open on public holidays.
Church closed in bad weather.
Cultuurdienst Overijse, preferably on Wednesday : +32 2 687 59 59 - email@example.com
In the Sonian Wood, there stood a peculiar and frightening oak tree. It was called the “Devil’s oak” and it played an important role in various local legends. A butcher from Brussels tried to put an end to these stories. On his deathbed he demanded for a statue of Jezus to be nailed to a neighbouring oak, thus creating the “Jezus’ oak” in 1636. The number of pilgrims increased over the years so the corresponding chapel was replaced by a Baroque hall church in 1650. The remains of the oak and the chapel can be found underneath the main altar.
At the time the church was built Jezus-Eik was nothing more than a remote hamlet. A residence for the rector of the church was built to stimulate the expansion of the village. The church and attached presbytery are protected heritage.
There is marbled, wood panelling on the side altars and on the walls of the choir. They hold paintings from the seventeenth century. The painting of Gabriel delivering the Message to Mary, behind the main altar, was donated in 1662 by the painter Andries de Licht. He wanted to express his gratitude for the healing of his daughter.
The wood panelling also holds a number of votive paintings, including thirteen children’s portraits. These portraits were painted out of gratitude for a healing or blessing, as a safeguard against illness and accidents or to commemorate a deceased child.
The miraculous statue of Mary with Child dates back to around 1550-1600. The statue was crowned by cardinal Mercier. The Baroque confessional (north) was a gift from Duke Ignatius of Arenberg (17th century). On the foot of the stone baptismal font (1756) is an embossing of Our Lady with Child.
The more recent stained glass windows (Steyart) depict the history of Jezus-Eik and the miraculous statue.
- Inventory Architectural Heritage