Rue de Chèvremont 96
4051 Vaux-sous-Chèvremont (Chaudfontaine)
01 April - 31 October
Mon 7.00 - 19.45
Tue 7.00 - 19.45
Wed 7.00 - 19.45
Thu 7.00 - 19.45
Fri 7.00 - 19.45
Sat 7.00 - 19.45
Sun 7.00 - 19.45
01 November - 31 March
Mon 7.00 - 19.00
Tue 7.00 - 19.00
Wed 7.00 - 19.00
Thu 7.00 - 19.00
Fri 7.00 - 19.00
Sat 7.00 - 19.00
Sun 7.00 - 19.00
Open all year round and free access.
On the side of the hill just below the large Chevremeont basilica is this small chapel which, dating from 1688, is much older than the basilica. It was built by English Jesuits who had founded a college of philosophy and theology at Liege.
Slowly this chapel has become the objective of a walk on the hillside and a site of devotion to the Virgin. It was classified in 1985 and, curiously, it is a pilgrimage site for sportsmen. Actually it is dedicated to Our Lady, patron of sports, and inside there are various trophies such as cups, balls and cycling and football jerseys, notably one from Gino Barteli, a tour de France winner.
The painted wooden statue of the Virgin (290 cm high) still occupies its original place in the niche of the altarpiece, whose base carved with ovum appears to have been designed with the statue when the altar was built in 1688. The latter was enlarged in the 18th century.
The so-called miraculous statue (22.30 cm high) made of whitish terracotta covered with a polychromy recharged many times, no longer occupies the base provided for it in the upper part of the altar. In order to be closer to the faithful, it was placed in the center of the choir on a throne after its solemn coronation in 1923.
A commemorative plaque reminds us that on "May 17, an aircraft torpedo did not prevail against it". Although the damage was not very significant, the roof and stained glass windows had to be restored.
The first part of the building built in 1688 (the current choir) is not oriented according to the traditions of the Middle Ages. Its pentagonal plan is not common in the area. In 1697, the chapel was enlarged. The walls got a more rustic (stone) construction and the work was done faster, probably the work of the population.
A commemorative plaque reminds us that Notre-Dame de Chèvremont is declared "Patroness of Walloon sportsmen" following a brief pontifical of Pius XII on 27 March 1953.