3020 Winksele (Herent)
15 June - 15 August
Sat 13.30 - 17.30
+32 16 48 02 20
The church of Winksele dates back to the 12th century. Both the square, sandstone tower and Roman nave were built in that period. The large, Gothic choir was added at the end of the 13th century.
The building was thoroughly renovated in the 17th century: the nave got an arbor, Gothic arches and lancet windows. The southern side isle was pulled down and on the north side a transept was built. At the end of the 18th century a sacristy and a rood loft with an organ were added to the church.
Winksele used to be a well known pilgrimage site: the mentally ill came to beg for healing at the beautiful, polychrome statue of Our Lady (ca. 1400). Next to the church you could find a ‘Dullenhuis’, a place where pilgrims were taken in and cared for. Later the building was pulled down and the stones were reused for the cemetery wall.
Another show piece is the Gothic Calvary: a crucified Christ is flanked by his mother and Saint-John (ca.1500). Also note the restored statues of Saint-Anne selbdritt (ca. 1600) and Saint-Roch (1649).
Most of the furniture dates back to the 17th and 18th century: the font, the choir stalls, the pulpit with canopy and stairs in rococo style, the communion rail in Louis XV style and the confessional.
Also look up to the ceiling in the choir. The fan vault has three figurative keystones, representing a pelican with its boy, the Lamb of God and a warrior in combat with Satan.
A brochure with the history of the church is available.