Rue du Passeur d'Eau
4920 Sougné-Remouchamps (Aywaille)
01 April - 31 October
Mon 8.00 - 18.00
Tue 8.00 - 18.00
Wed 8.00 - 18.00
Thu 8.00 - 18.00
Fri 8.00 - 18.00
Sat 8.00 - 18.00
Sun 8.00 - 18.00
01 November - 31 March
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
11.00 am : 2nd Sunday of the month
6.30 pm : evening before the 5th Sunday
Situated on the banks of the Amblève, encircled by an ancient graveyard with two fine chestnut trees in front of its porch, this church pleases those who appreciate rustic simplicity.
The first point to notice is its four sided Romanesque bell tower built in limestone (13th century).It is a listed building; one of the remnants of the ancient church. The present church, which is an extension of the tower, dates from 1744.
The interior is painted in white and is in the shape of a vessel with a single nave. It is illuminated by a dozen windows, some with stained glass and others just simple glass. The main altar is 18th century and recalls the Jesuit style. Some oak stalls in the choir. Louis XIV pulpit.
The windows at the back date from 1938 and those on the left from 1900-1901. Those on the right were broken during the destruction of the Sougné bridge on May 10th 1940. The first window was donated by a generous donor in 2002. It is dedicated to St Peter and exactly reproduces the decoration of the old windows opposite. The choir is decorated with four stained glass windows.
The organs, installed by the firm of A. Clerinx of Sint-Truiden in 1862, were restored in 1969 by the Thomas de Ster organ factory, which maintains them. The organ course of the OVA Academy uses them every week.
The present furnishings consist of three Jesuit-style altars (18th century). The high altar is surmounted by a statue representing Our Lady of Victories and decorated with four angels in the "Delcour" style.
Pulpit of truth in the Louis XIV style from Liège, pink marble stoup from Saint-Remy (L. Chèveront 1704), baptismal font: 14th century basin and 16th century base.
Choir stalls (17th century).
Recessed on the left in the wall under the rood screen, this reliquary shrine was donated in 1892 by the former parish priest of Sainte-Marguerite, Nicolas-Joseph Carpentier.
In 1840, Charles Causard de Tellin supplied two bells, a large one (538 kgs) and a small one (378 kgs) to replace the existing bell, the metal of which was recast for the new ones.
In 1847, the large bell was recast by Gaulard de Liège and its weight increased to 575 kgs.
In 1940, the two bells rang out of tune and Fr. Michiels of Tournai supplied two new bells and took over the old ones. The big one weighed 603 kgs and the small one 339 kgs.
n 14 July 1943, the small bell was taken away by the Germans and on 24 March 1944, it was the turn of the big bell. Only the large bell was returned intact on 6 November 1945.
On 28 May 1954, Mgr Creusen, vicar general, blessed a new bell cast by Fr Michiels of Tournai; with its 900 kg, it became the big one and the big one became the small one! It is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary Immaculate and to Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus.