rue du Château
L-7463 Pettingen (Mersch)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 18.00
Tue 10.00 - 18.00
Wed 10.00 - 18.00
Thu 10.00 - 18.00
Fri 10.00 - 18.00
Sat 10.00 - 18.00
Sun 10.00 - 18.00
The chapel is surrounded by a small cemetery. The proximity of the cemetery to the church seemed advantageous to the people for the hoped-for resurrection after death. The knights of Pittingen and their families were probably buried inside the castle chapel.
The entrance door is marked by a six-part skylight with a star motif. The keystone in the round arch indicates the year 1725. In the gable field is a window opening framed in sandstone. The single-nave building was extended towards the village in 1903. On entering the chapel, the cross-ribbed vault of red sandstone from 1725 catches the visitor's eye due to the contrast with the white plastered walls. The vault rests on protruding pilasters.
The symmetrically designed coloured wooden high altar is in the Baroque style and has been renovated and restored several times.
The gold decorations show off the "Consolatrix Afflictorum" and the capitals to their best advantage.
In the neo-baroque base of the altar, which is decorated with a figure of an angel, there is an 18th century shrine with relics attributed to St. Theobaldus and his companion Walther.
on the right side of the choir there is a small round-arched niche with an ornate shell shape.
St. Donatus is the patron saint of the chapel. He is depicted as a Roman soldier. He is venerated as the patron saint against storms, lightning, hail and conflagration.