01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 17.00
Tue 10.00 - 17.00
Wed 10.00 - 17.00
Thu 10.00 - 17.00
Fri 10.00 - 17.00
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
The history of this church is well documented. After the restoration in 2008 an illustrated, well written volume was published that mentions all the old and new parts of this church. This publication is still available in the church.
The foundation of the church tower is pre-Roman and dates back to the 11th century. In this part of the church old brickwork and fifteen different kinds of stone were found. A part of them appear to have been recovered from Roman villas from the area. On this foundation a Roman-Gothic style combination in local marlstone was constructed in 1250.
The original church was replaced in 1766 by a new construction: a Classicist church with one nave constructed in brick. Some years later a baroque spire in Austrian style was added. In 1896, because of the growing population, the church was extended in length with one third and in 1932 once more with two aisles.
On the inside, the high altar (1689) does not go unnoticed. It originally comes from the St Paul’s Cathredal in Liege and the two white marble medallions depicting the Apostles Peter and Paul were made by the famous sculptor Jean Delcour. The 18th century stalls originally come from the St. John Evangelist church in Liege.
The painting of the Deposition in the choir comes from the workshop of Rubens. The Stoning of St Stephen on the right-hand side of the choir was made by Jean Detrixhe.
The German master carpenter Carl Weyskopf made the two side altars, the two confessionals and the communion, which is now incorporated into the altar and the lectern. The oak reliquary dates back to the 17th century. The early Gothic baptismal font (c. 1250) has four distinctive characteristic heads. The fish on the lid is one of the oldest Christian symbols.
The crowned eagle on the tabernacle refers to the biggest benefactors of the church, the aristocratic family de Brouckmans. Their estate (now a school) is next to the church.
Source: Geschiedkundige Kring Hoeselt - Samenvatting over St-Stefanuskerk. (www.sint-stefanus.be)
See the treasures of this church online on erfgoedplus.be
Rulers and saints, Religious heritage around Alden Biesen (bicycle route 3) - This route shows that religious heritage doesn't have to be boring: lively stories and legends, a beautiful hidden hermitage and some beautiful historical churches and castles.
Rulers and saints, religious heritage around Alden Biesen (car tour 1) - Less sporty? Or is it raining cats and dogs? We have connected the most interesting sights with a route adapted to the car (in Dutch).