9660 Nederbrakel (Brakel)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 18.00
Tue 9.00 - 18.00
Wed 9.00 - 18.00
Thu 9.00 - 18.00
Fri 9.00 - 18.00
Sat 9.00 - 18.00
Sun 9.00 - 18.00
This brick church of Nederbrakel with three naves and with its tower in the form of a bell dominates the market place. The ancient 13th or 14th century tower of saint Peter’s church was completely burnt down in 1750.The present late gothic square tower was built between 1515 and 1551.When the church was completely renovated and enlarged from 1828 under the direction of the architect P Clepens of Audenarde it was decided to join this tower to the nave.
The latest restoration was completed in 1997. Two years later the restoration of the “Wasteel” carillon with its 49 bells was undertaken. The church council and the working group “Wasteelbeiaard” manage the calendar of carillon events and, during summer, foreign bell-ringers are invited to come and play.
The old dean, Bogaert, organised the renovation of the Reygaert organ.
The high altar and the altar of the Sacred Heart in the neo-classical interior came from the church of Saint Martin de Renaix and were bought in 1897.
Two matchless paintings by Jan Hendrik De Coene (born in Nederbrakel in 1798) depict “the miraculous rescue of Saint Peter” and “ the doubting of Saint Thomas”.A magnificent lectern dates from the same period.
A statue of Saint Peter in chains, patron saint of the church, by Aloïs De Beule (Ghent) in 1937, stands above the entrance to the church.
This altar bears the statues of the 12 apostles. Under the altar table: the great prophets of the Old Testament. The altar comes from the old church of Saint Martin de Renaix and was installed in 1896 in Nederbrakel.
Hendrik de Coene painted "Thomas the Unbeliever", an award-winning painting, and installed it in our church.This painter from Nederbrakel was the pupil in Brussels of Louis David and Joseph Paelinck. He was also in charge of painting the monumental painting on the main altar "The Imprisonment of Peter" (1835).
"The Good Shepherd" in white stone (1953). This work was created by Robert Coolens as a funeral monument for Father Wolf at the Nederbrakel cemetery.
It dates from 2006 and is the work of the priest artist Louis Van Hall. It's made of papier-mâché.
The priest and artist of the deanery of Nederbrakel Georges Herregods recalls here the past of the miners of the coal mines of Nederbrakel. This e-mail masterpiece, dating from 2005, is a tribute to the work of the region's miners in the Borinage coal mines.
Herregods is also the painter of the "Found Moses" (2005) and the creator of the Saint Peter of the chair of truth of the church.
Triptych "Golgotha" Willy Colleman: Flemish expressionist from the Second School of Latem. From left to right: Crucifixion (1978); Descent of the Cross (1979); Resurrection (1980).
9660 Elst (Brakel)
9572 Sint-Martens-Lierde (Lierde)
10.00 - 18.00 Open
9630 Munkzwalm (Zwalm)
09.00 - 19.00 Open
9620 Grotenberge (Zottegem)