01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
+32 9 340 94 74
Lokeren was an important industrial centre dominated by textiles, spinning and weaving linen, hemp and jute. Close to the main square is the church of Saint-Laurent which achieved its present form after a fire in 1719. After this disaster, the builders enlarged the church and finished it with a 65 m tower crowned by a ‘peperbus” The church is Baroque but embellished with some Gothic features.
The tower has a carillon of 49 bells one of which weighs 4 tons. The carillon was inaugurated by King Baudoin a year after the floods caused by the overflowing of the Durme. There was an exhibition of carillon in the tower in 2006.
There is a permanent museum in the ancient baptistery of the church containing superb chalices, missals, procession statues and chasubles which could interest a visitor. Notice also the insets in the baptistery doors and the richly sculpted rococo pulpit by Theodoor Verhaegen of Mechelen. This depicts the 12 year old Jesus with the Jewish law givers. There is also an altar and stained glass windows dedicated to Saint–Laurent and, more importantly, that saint’s shrine created by Josef Hennekens of Antwerp.
Artwork by Theodor Verhaegen (Mechelen): "Twelve-year-old Jesus in the Jewish temple between teachers".
At the top a Sacred Heart in clouds and rays, a crucifix and a pelican. Below a Mystic Lamb (wood). The altar was rebuilt several times. The last alteration was done under the Cools blanket in 1887.
The Stations of the Cross, incorporated into the artful wooden panelling, date from 1859-1860 and were made by De Prètere (Antwerp).
Presumably 1731 - Gullielmus-Ignatius Kerricx (Antwerp).
Openwork doors depicting 'The baptism of Christ' and 'Christ preaching to Nicodemus'. On the pediment: 'the transfiguration of Christ on Mount Thabor'.
The museum contains a number of religious cult objects such as chalices, altar cloth, reliquary, robes, processional statues, etc.
Attributed to Livinus Van Helderberg (Ghent). From left to right pictures of Magdalena, Peter, David and the prodigal son.
J.B. Forceville (1660-1739), rebuilt by Joh. Thomas Forceville (1696-1750), repair and maintenance in 1743. 1898 new organ Petrus Schijven (Brussels), 1960 renewed Delmotte (Tournai), 1989 restored Loncke (Overmere).
Cycle route "Religious heritage around Lokeren" - When cycling through this beautiful part of Waasland, it is hard to imagine that it was once the scene of an 80-year war during the late 16th century and the first half of the 17th century!