01 July - 30 September
Sat 14.00 - 17.00
Sun 14.00 - 17.00
This modern church, dating from 1970, has been officially called Saint Anne the Trinity since 2006 due to the presence of a 1667 statue depicting the Virgin, her mother, Anne, and Jesus. The statue refers to the chapel of Saint Anne which has been a pilgrimage site since 1330. The people of Antwerp colloquially call this place “Saint Annie “ with pride and affection and its surroundings along the river Scheldt, “Saint Annie’s beach”.
While planning this modern church , the architect Jos Ritzen also thought of a multi- purpose location. This is why the interior is in the form of a scallop with no element interfering with the view of the whole. The stained glass windows are the work of the Frenchman, Jacques Loire of Chartres. In 2012 this artist created a very contemporary glass tabernacle illuminated from inside. The various artists who have exhibited recently in the church have left one or other of their creations.
As the altar can be moved and the floor is slightly inclined, the church is an ideal place for concerts and exhibitions. Every year since 2009 the church has hosted a summer exhibition and 15 to 20 concerts are given. For the cultural activities in the church see: www.anna3.be
Since 2011 the church is the first “church for cycles”. You can picnic outside while leaving your cycle in a shelter (a rubbish container, drinkable water, toilets and points for recharging electric cycles are all available). The church has also initiated the “Scheldt church route”, a cycle track along the banks of the Scheldt as far as Rupelmonde. Short- cuts are possible via various branches of the Scheldt. A map of this route is on sale at the church.
The church is also a truly ecological church protected by various techniques: the whole building is lit by LED’s powered by 48 solar panels, rain water is collected for the toilets, rubbish is sorted, and it uses fair trade products