In the 4th century A.D., the hill on which the church stands was fortified with towers and a surrounding wall. The church crypt incorporates this earlier Roman stonework. Around the year 1000, a Romanesque building was erected in the form of a three-nave basilica, one distinctive feature of which are the towers flanking the chancel end of the church, reflecting the architectural influence of Lorraine. In the 15th century, the church was transformed and enlarged in the Gothic style, resulting in the building’s present form as a hall church (with aisles of the same height as the nave). In 1718, the floor level was lowered and the apse renovated. After the Second World War, archeological excavations and restoration work gave the Sanctuary its present appearance. The stained glass windows are by the painter François Gillen, a native of Echternach.