Rue de l'Eglise
6980 La Roche-en-Ardenne
01 April - 31 October
Mon 9.00 - 19.00
Tue 9.00 - 19.00
Wed 9.00 - 19.00
Thu 9.00 - 19.00
Fri 9.00 - 19.00
Sat 9.00 - 19.00
Sun 9.00 - 19.00
01 November - 31 March
Mon 9.00 - 16.00
Tue 9.00 - 16.00
Wed 9.00 - 16.00
Thu 9.00 - 16.00
Fri 9.00 - 16.00
Sat 9.00 - 16.00
Sun 9.00 - 16.00
Sunday 11 am
Situated in the middle of the high street of this leading Ardennes tourist town, the church is Neo- gothic, built in 1900.
It was damaged in 1945 but has been restored well. Unusually, and worth mentioning, is the permanent background music which hospitably welcomes those who enter the church. Numerous stained glass windows dating from 1980 diffuse warm colours inside. Several statues, paintings and screens are worth seeing, notably the lime wood statues on either side of the choir of the Virgin and Saint Nicholas, the parish patron saint.
On the altar in the centre of the chapel stands a miraculous little pieta from the Sainte-Marguerite chapel. On the left wall is a wooden polychromed statue of St. Eloi (around 1600) on a pedestal, dated 1571.
The tub of the stone-font is decorated with heads at the corners and covered with a brass lid crowned with a cross. The remarkable baptismal font dates from 1593.
The floor of the central hall is absolutely exceptional. It consists of 100,000 pieces of Vielsalm slate. The pieces are laid out in such a way that they form unique geometric figures.
Originally this Calvary hung above the choir. In the 18th century it was placed in the village on a spot called Maka. The statue of the Blessed Virgin has disappeared. The apostle Jan is located close to the cross where Christ is hoisted by fire. The oak sculpture group was made in the 19th century and is elaborated in neo-Gothic style.
Leaning against the pilasters on both sides of the transept are two lime wood statues: Mary with child and Saint Nicolas, patron saint of the parish. They were probably made by Renier Panhay of Rendeux (+/- 1739).
From bell tower to bell tower in the heart of the Ardennes (car 2 route) - Several churches are built on the very site of very old oratories, of which they have preserved traces. Some were destroyed and then rebuilt, especially after the Religious Wars. Others, more recent, testify to the styles in vogue at the time of our (great-)grandparents....
"From bell tower to bell tower in the heart of the Ardennes (car route 1) - Most of the religious art objects were donated by grateful parishioners. The craftsmen and artists they have called upon over the centuries have not counted their hours for these testimonies of faith. So many admirable and moving works!
Tours "From bell tower to bell tower in the heart of the Ardennes" (bike tour 2) - The first parishes of the Ardennes were far apart. It took miles to get to Mass... Since the end of the 19th century, each village has wanted to build its own church. What an investment for the local community, but what a pride too!
From bell tower to bell tower in the heart of the Ardennes (cycle route 1) - How lucky we are to have so many "building stones" in our basement. In this part of the Ardennes, it is mainly schist and sandstone that we find, or even a mixture of the two. The churches built in these rocks draw a very particular strength of character from them... A route for lovers of climbing.