L-9806 Hosingen (Parc Hosingen)
15 March - 15 October
Mon 10.00 - 18.00
Tue 10.00 - 18.00
Wed 10.00 - 18.00
Thu 10.00 - 18.00
Fri 10.00 - 18.00
Sat 10.00 - 18.00
Sun 10.00 - 18.00
16 October - 14 March
Sat 10.00 - 17.00
Sun 10.00 - 17.00
In Hosingen, St. Nicholas has always been venerated as the patron saint of merchants, and for several centuries a regional St. Nicholas market has been held here every year. The Luxembourgish name for the servant of St. Nicholas, who helps to distribute presents to children on 6 December, "the Houseker", probably goes back to the name of the locality Hosingen (Housen in Luxembourgish).
This is probably the entrance gate to the monastery, which was originally in a different place. There is a statue of the patron saint Nicholas with children in the pickle barrel and a medallion with the dates 1774, 1863, 1951 which commemorate the construction and reconstruction of the church and monastery.
The baroque high altar, like the side altars, comes from the parish church of Consthum, which was demolished after the Second World War. Badly damaged during the war, they were restored by the cabinetmaker Grimm from Luxembourg. In 1963, the master carpenters Atten and Dohm from Hosingen enlarged the main altar on both sides by about one metre. The statue is a recent carving.
This mosaic artwork from 1958 by Gustav Zanter shows the 14 stations of Christ's passion. In the centre of the whole is Christ who overcame death.
The 7 swords piercing Mary's heart show the "7 sorrows" that the mother of Jesus went through; because she remained steadfast, she has become a figure of hope.
In Hosingen there had been an organ in the church since the 17th century, which was a rarity. The new Sebald organ was consecrated in 1954. This instrument with its imposing facade was completely renovated in 2004 by Weimbs Orgelbau from Hellenthal in the Eifel.
These are the coats of arms of the noble families from which the expelled choir sisters came. They are distributed over the whole nave on the outer walls.