The basilica of Chaumont was built in the 13th century. This impressive building in Gothic style is 55m long by 25m wide and its nave is 18m high. The status of "basilica" was granted in 1948.
Walking through the basilica from the entrance to the altar allows you to cross the ages: the journey begins with the sober decoration of the 13th century; it continues in the 16th century with the vaults and chapels decorated in the style of Notre-Dame de Paris. Finally, the Sainte-Marguerite chapel, built in the second half of the 19th century, houses many relics.
Among the most beautiful works of art in the basilica, the 14th century Jesse tree presents on its branches the family history of Christ. Under the north bell tower, a fully painted space features the 16th century tomb of Jesus, surrounded by ten life-size carved figures.
Since February 1475, the basilica has been hosting the pilgrimage of the Grand Pardon de Chaumont. Any faithful person who visits the Collegiate Church of Chaumont on Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day falling on a Sunday is granted a total indulgence.
Currently, the Innovatis Basilica
association is working to renovate the basilica in order to welcome the next Grand Pardon, which will take place in 2029.