The locality is mentioned as early as 839. Up until the 16th century, it formed one parish with Hosingen; then it became an independent entity comprising around 10 localities.
The nave and the belfry go back to the 12th century and are the oldest parts of the present church. A new chancel was built in 1467. Some years later the nave was given a vaulted ceiling. A chapel was erected on the south side for the Lords of Clervaux, whose family members were buried the church up until 1602. The portico was added in 1699, the sacristy in 1750.
After the Second World War there were several restoration schemes, the last of which was finished in 2016.