In 1125, the abbey was founded by the Benedictines of Affligem. It was the setting for their daily life for 7 centuries.
During the French reign, the monastery was stopped. Except for the abbey farm, also the church and the abbot building, both in classical style were kept. The former abbey church is a masterpiece by the architect L.-B. Dewez.
In the cemetery, one can find headstones of famous people.