Place du Marché
01 January - 31 December
Mon 10.00 - 19.00
Tue 10.00 - 19.00
Wed 10.00 - 19.00
Thu 10.00 - 19.00
Fri 10.00 - 19.00
Sat 10.00 - 19.00
Sun 10.00 - 19.00
Saturday 6.30 pm or Sunday 10.30 am (uncertain)
Notre-Dame Church is located in the historic heart of Joinville. Certified since the 12th century, it is the first religious construction of the city. The main and side naves in particular date from this period. The 19th century completely rebuilt the transept and apse, following the decision to remove the original bell tower. This first bell tower was already remodelled following the fire of 1544, caused by Charles V's troops. Thus, the current bell tower, in the form of a high tower, symbol of the city, is a contribution of the 19th century. It was built on the site of an old Renaissance portal, destroyed.
Inside the church remains the trace of the 12th century church through the stair tower and the rose window, visible from the organ platform. According to legend, the old church gate housed a statue representing Joinville's mythical founder, Jovin, with his wife. He would have founded the city and the church in the 4th century, giving his name to Joinville.
Notre-Dame Church also houses another reminder of the history of the Kingdom of France, since it contains the belt of Saint Joseph, brought back by Jean, sire of Joinville, companion of Saint Louis during the 7th Crusade. Among the other treasures of the édice, we can mention a remarkable statuary complex, a 16th century tomb of Christ, among the most beautiful in the region.
To the left of the Renaissance portal, overlooking the square, contributed by the Guise family, are two small stalls, the only survivors of all those that were once attached to the church. Their stone construction was built after the fire of 1544. Previously made of wood, they would have favoured the spread of fire.