Situated on the frontier between France and Belgium, along the river Aunelle, the pretty village of Rombies-Marchipont is hidden in the countryside, on the edge of the Scarpe-Escaut Regional Nature Reserve.
Marchipont was situated on the other side of the frontier, and was attached to the French villageof Rombies in 1806 by Napoleon 1st, in this way becoming a hamlet in the village with two churches - St. Remy in Rombies and St. Nicolas in Marchipont. As well as its natural environment the village has interesting civilian buildings : the offices of the old Customs post ; 18th and 19th century farms, and a watermill dating back to 1779, with its mill stones and mechanism, and classified as a Historical Monument in 1992.
There are numerous chapels along the country lanes of the village which bear witness to the Compostelle pilgrimage which passes this way ; the church of St. Nicolas in the hamlet of Marchipont was one of the halts.
This church, destroyed and rebuilt over the centuries due to conflicts between France and the Low Countries is mentionned as early as the 13th century, but the present church of red brick was rebuilt again in 1718, as can be seen in the inscription on the facade and a stone sealed in the north wall.
Recently restored with the help of the local historical association CHARM, the church has a particular atmosphere due to its architecture and the richness of its 18th century furnishings.