01 January - 31 December
Mon -
Tue -
Wed -
Thu -
Fri -
Sat -
Sun 10.30 - 18.00
+32 81 58 81 91
Wednesday 6.30 pm
Sunday 11 am
Encircled by a graveyard, the tower and front part of the nave of this beautiful Romanesque church in local stone dates from the 11th century. It was enlarged in the 19th century with two aisles and a choir with three angled sections.
On the outside it is the massive tower that attracts attention. This was originally built for defensive purposes, as the small openings in the walls show from where projectiles could be fired on to attackers.
Inside there are some noteworthy items: a 16th century Gothic Pieta, a polychrome statue in wood of Saint Fermin (17th century), a panel from the ancient pulpit now integrated into the present altar (18th century), the funeral flagstones of Jean de Namur (died 1569) and of F. de Ronvau (died 1603). J. William made the baptismal fonts in 1963.
Both the church and graveyard were classified in 1976.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online
Statue, Pietà, late 16th century, carved and polychromed wood, height 81 cm, restored and polychromed by L. M. Londot in 1963.
Sculpture by an unknown artist, terracotta, dated around 1700, height 92 cm.
Three neoclassical altars and a 19th-century pulpit were installed in the nave when it was enlarged. It should be noted that this pulpit reused 18th-century carved wooden panels depicting the Virgin Mary, Saint John the Baptist and Christ. These panels have now been reinserted into the contemporary altar (1963).
Renaissance-style tombstone located in the south aisle, lying in arms, coat of arms and quarters, stone. It belongs to Jean de Namur, owner of the Dhuy estate, illegitimate son of the Count of Namur, who died in 1569.
Funeral slab of François de Ronvau, known as Caverenne (died in 1603), bas-relief of the deceased kneeling before the crucifix, stone.
Created by Jean Williame, circa 1963, marble and brass, height 92 cm. Jean Willame, born on 16 March 1932 and died on 4 October 2014, was a Belgian sculptor. Trained at the School of Arts and Crafts at Maredsous Abbey, he frequently collaborated with architects (Roger Bastin, Simon Brigode, Jean Cosse, Guy Van Oost) on integrating sculpture into public buildings and religious edifices. From 1976 onwards, he taught at the Academy of Fine Arts in Namur.