"The Unusual in Religious Buildings"
How many times are we seized, in a corner of a church, by an intriguing object, a mysterious symbol or a grimaceous face? Sometimes it is a ray of light, a strange arrangement or a contrasting artistic creation that surprises us.
The unusual can be discovered in many religious buildings, past and present.
The questions that these unexpected structures, traditions or settings raise in us, not always easy to interpret, lead us into fascinating explorations.
A travelling exhibition
The association Eglises Ouvertes offers you a travelling exhibition of 56 photos on the theme "Unusual Churches". The photographs selected testify to the curious, mystical, fantastic look... and the offbeat humour of many photographers, amateurs or professionals. A beautiful tool to invite faithful and visitors to let themselves be challenged by the mysteries of your church.
A photo contest
These photos were selected from among the dozens of photos sent as part of the "Unusual Churches" competition launched in Wallonia in the summer of 2018. The Jury, chaired by Guy Focant (AWaP), awarded the 32 most original photos. Choices that enrich our interpretation of the unusual, which is combined very differently depending on the viewpoint....
Where to see the exhibition?
- At the Saint-Vincent in Soignies collegiate church, from November 30, 2018 to January 31, 2019
- At Saint-Martin in Arlon church, from 1 to 30 April 2019
- At the Saint-Michel church in Saint-Sauveur (Frasnes-lez-Anvaing), during the month of June 2019
- At the church of the Immaculate Conception in Sougné-Remouchamps, from July 3 to 31, 2019
- At the Notre-Dame-de-la-Mer church in Camiers-Sainte-Cécile (Pas-de-Calais) from August 3 to September 3, 2019
- At the Church of Notre-Dame du Rosaire in Moha, from September 12 to October 13, 2019
- At Saints-Pierre-et-Paul Church in Ploegsteert, from 16 October to 14 November 2019
Would you like to host this exhibition in your church?
The exhibition consists of 15 panels (double-sided) arranged in accordion, an information table (with guest book) and a hanging banner. It can be assembled in two hours in a space of +/- 36m2. The device requires good exposure to light (natural and/or artificial).
Please contact the Open Churches Secretariat to agree on a range in the planned travel schedule (2019-2020-2021). The exhibition is available for a period of one month, free of charge for churches that join the network (for other buildings, a rental price of 175 euros is planned, including assembly/disassembly and travel expenses). It should be noted that 90% of promotion is the responsibility of local officials.