Sint-Petrus en Paulusplein
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 12.00 • 15.00 - 17.00
+32 59 70 17 19
Sunday : 10 am and 5 pm
Website of the Deanery
This Neo-Gothic church in the town centre of Ostend replaced the Saint-Peter’s church that burned down in 1896 and of which only the nearby brick tower remains (called the ‘Peperbusse’)
The new church was a project of prestige by king Leopold III, who was so enthusiastic that he was suspected of setting fire to the original church himself. Architect Louis Delacenserie from Bruges was inspired by the ‘ideal’ building plan for a cathedral, such as that of the Cologne Cathedral and the Votive Church in Vienna. The church is oriented to the West. King Leopold placed the first stone in 1901. During both World Wars the building suffered great damage.
In between the two doors of the entrance stands a statue of Mary with baby Jesus. To the right and left of the entrance stand the patron saints of the church, Peter and Paul.
Behind the choir we can find the Queen’s Chapel with the white-and-green marble tomb of queen Louise-Marie (1812-1850), spouse to Leopold I. On the outside this chapel is richly decorated with gargoyles and sculptures of canonized queens. Within, visitors are greeted by two polychrome stone statues of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The windows refer to kingship and Christ.
The windows in the church tell the history of Ostend and depict the apostles, historical figures, saints of the region and Biblical scenes. The church treasure includes silver objects and embroidered garments. On the windows of the southern transept we can see among others the representation of the Belgian monarchs and queen Louise-Marie.
The interior shows Neo-Gothic elements. The church possesses stone statues of the Evangelists (P. Breacke), a white stone cloister in bas-relief (J. Gerrits), oak choir stalls, stone communion rails, a marble pulpit, confessionals made of oak and blue freestone, and a copper font. In the northern transept a big engraved copper plate can be found, in memory of war victims.
Inventaris voor het Onroerend Erfgoed, https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be
‘Sint-Petrus- en –Pauluskerk’, Stad Oostende, www.oostende.be
Here we find several remarkable pieces representing the history of the church:
- From the old church, the current “Peperbusse” (pepper shaker): the altar Cross and the Monstrance
- Beautifully decorated missals
- Photo’s of the fire destroying the old church and the erection and inauguration of the new church in 1905
- Restored stained glass windows from the old church, mahogany sculptures and elements referring to the benediction of the sea