01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
This church was founded as early as the eight century by the abbey of Munsterbilzen. It is dedicated to Saint Maurice and his companions. The pentagonal choir dates back to the Gothic period as well as several late Gothic statues.
The church was completely destroyed after a fire in 1636 and was afterwards reconstructed in Baroque style. The tower was built in 1667. In 1906 the church was extended and obtained its present state: It is a typical hall church where the aisles and the nave have the same height and where the transept is not wider than three bays. The interior was decorated in neo-Gothic style. The church was thoroughly renovated in 1995 and the late Gothic and Baroque sculptures were integrated in the neo-Gothic interior.
Note the beautiful stained glass windows, the wooden barrel vaulted ceilings, the monumental gravestones, the beautiful Stations of the Cross and the neo-Gothic polychromatic paintings. The Brammertz organ dates back to the eighteenth century.
The statue of Saint Anne (mother of Mary), Saint Mary and baby Jesus, which stands in the back of the church, was created between 1520 and 1530 in a workshop either in Liège or in the Maasland. Saint Anne wears a headscarf (a symbol of widowhood) and Maria wears a diadem.
The statue of Saint Barbara on the right side of the nave comes from a former beguine church in Bilzen. It was created by a known artist from the local area, from Dutch Limburg: Jan Van Steffensweert. The statue represents Saint Barbara with the following attributes: an open book and a tower with three floors and three windows.
Next to Saint Barbara is a statue of the patron saint of this parish: Saint Maurice. He used to be the captain of the Theban legion and is shown here dressed as a Roman centurion. Together with his companions he died a martyr’s death at Agaune in Valais, Switzerland.
The tombstone of the van Bocholtz family was discovered underneath the high altar and was moved to a new place under the tower. Edmond van Bocholtz was a Grand Commander of the Teutonic Order in Alden Biesen. In 1659 he placed his family members underneath this tombstone in order to establish this church as the burial place of his kin. The Grand Commander, who himself was not buried in this church, is also portrayed on the painting of the kneeling Saint Dominic. On this painting, Saint Dominic is receiving the Rosary from the hands of Our Lady while simultaneously giving a rosary to the Grand Commander. It was painted by Walthère Daméry (1614-1678) and used to be placed above the altar. The painting refers to the brotherhood of the Holy Rosary which was inaugurated in 1661. In the background of the painting Saint Gregory of Cappadocia is holding the banner of the Teutonic order.
See the treasures of this church online on erfgoedplus.be
Religious heritage around Alden Biesen (cycle route 1) - This route leads you past the mighty land commandery of Alden Biesen and the abbey of Munsterbilzen. Discover what traces their influential rulers left behind in the area.
Rulers and saints, religious heritage around Alden Biesen (car tour 1) - Less sporty? Or is it raining cats and dogs? We have connected the most interesting sights with a route adapted to the car (in Dutch).