3790 Sint-Martens-Voeren (Voeren)
01 January - 31 December
Mon 9.00 - 17.00
Tue 9.00 - 17.00
Wed 9.00 - 17.00
Thu 9.00 - 17.00
Fri 9.00 - 17.00
Sat 9.00 - 17.00
Sun 9.00 - 17.00
This church, built on a knoll, is surrounded by a walled graveyard in which there are funeral crosses from the 16th and 18th centuries. The tomb of the priest Hendrik Veltmans, pioneer of the Flemish conscience in the Fourons, is near the tower. After some acts of vandalism, a new monument, by the artist Willy Ceyssens, was erected. There are graves of several American air force pilots in the cemetery.
The church, dating from 1728, is of quartz and flint and has three naves. The main doorway near the tower is a relic of the 13th century church. The choir was the last to be added in 1730.
The furnishings are baroque. The stalls are 17th century while the altars, confessionals and the communion table are from the 18th century.
The baptismal fonts in blue stone are Romanesque and also come from the 13th century church but they have a modern brass cover.
Inside are the statues of Saint Blaise (17th century) and Saint Martin, mounted, (18th century).The patron saint of the church is visible on a bas relief on the outside southern wall. Saint Michael and Our Lady are depicted in the entrance.
The view of the village is dominated by the railway bridge built during the First World War. Many walks in the area have been mapped out.
KIKIRPA : Photo-library online